- Anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with Radio Data System (RDS)
- HiFi sound system
- Auxiliary audio input for portable music players
- HD Radio with multicast FM station reception
- Heated dual power mirrors and heated windshield washer jets
- Adaptive Brake Lights
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers and Automatic headlight control
- Xenon Adaptive Headlights w/dynamic auto-leveling and Corona headlight-rings
- Ground lighting located in bottom of exterior door handles
- 2-way power glass moonroof with one-touch operation and sliding interior sunshade
- Halogen free-form front foglights
- 17 x 8.0 radial-spoke alloy wheels (style 284) -inc: P225/45R17 run-flat performance tires
- Retractable, high-intensity headlight washers
- Locking glovebox
- Front seatback storage nets
- Central locking system with center console switch (leaves gas filler door unlocked), double-lock feature and 2-step unlocking
- Front-seat center armrest
- On-board computer with Check Control provides feedback on the vehicle's operating status: oil level indicator and distance to next service appointment/oil change, as well as other detailed information, such as spark plug and micro-filter status. It also provides travel information travel range on remaining fuel, external temperature and more
- Advanced Vehicle Key Memory includes climate-control temperature and air-distribution settings, exterior mirror and power seat settings, audio tone settings and radio presets with optional Navigation system, central-locking preferences, and lighting preferences
- Leatherette upholstery
- Check Control vehicle monitor system with pictogram display, oil status display, and Condition Based Service indicator
- Floor Mats
- Coded Driveaway Protection
- Driver and passenger visor vanity mirrors
- BMW Ambiance lighting
- Automatic climate control includes micro-filter, automatic air recirculation, left/right temperature control, temperature- and volume-controlled rear outlets, windshield misting sensor, MAX A/C function, heat at rest, and recall of individual user settings
- Electric interior trunk release
- Tilt/telescopic steering wheel column
- Auxiliary power outlet
- Rear-seat center armrest with cupholders
- Remote keyless entry with remote trunk release
- Power front and rear windows with one-touch up/down operation
- Front passenger cupholders (dashboard-integrated)
- Dynamic Cruise Control
- 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth phone controls (if so equipped)
- Rear window defroster
- Service Interval Indicator with miles-to-service readout
- 8-way power front bucket seats with 2-way manual headrests with Active Head Restraints feature, and driver memory with 2 presets for exterior mirror and seat positions
- Dark burl walnut wood trim
- Courtesy lights include fade in/fade out, actuation from remote, automatic switch-on when engine is turned off, separately controlled left/right front and rear reading lights, front footwell lighting, and illuminated vanity mirrors
- Engine-speed-sensitive, variable-assist power steering
- Electronic throttle control
- Chrome-plated exhaust tips
- 5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse arms
- Engine Start/Stop button
- xDrive all-wheel-drive system
- Double-pivot type front suspension with dual forged-aluminum lower arms (328i xDrive and 335i xDrive have steel lower arms and a steel subframe, plus an aluminum thrust plate)
- 4-wheel ventilated anti-lock disc brakes with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
- 3.0-liter, 300-horsepower, dual overhead cam (DOHC), inline 24-valve 6-cylinder engine with aluminum engine block, TwinPower Turbo technology, Valvetronic, piezo direct injection, and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing
- 6-speed manual transmission
- Twin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbers
- Front and rear anti-roll (stabilizer) bars
- Tire Pressure Monitor
- Impact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; and automatically turns on hazard lights and interior lights, and unlocks doors
- LATCH attachments on child-restraint safety installation
- Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- Child safety rear door locks
- Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
- Hill Descent Control
- Automatic locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger-seat safety belts for installation of child-restraint seat
- Emergency trunk release
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Front safety belts with automatic pretensioners
- Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology: dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment; and front-passenger seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment
- Programmable Daytime Running Lights
- Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
- Front passenger seat-occupation recognition with passenger's airbag off indicator
- Crash sensor activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery, automatically unlocks doors, and turns on hazard and interior lights
The 3-Series comes in several different body styles. With Coupe, Convertible, Sedan, and Wagon variants--including diesel and high-performance M3 variants in some styles--the 3-Series includes a full range of possibilities.
Each of the body styles is offered in 328i and 335i variants, with the 328i including a 230-horsepower, 3.0L in-line 6-cylinder engine and the 335i getting a 300-hp, 3.0L turbocharged six. In the 335i, the former twin-turbo setup is replaced with a twin-scroll, single-turbo arrangement which BMW says allows more torque at lower rpm; peak torque is now available from 1,200 rpm. Either of these engines are smooth and free-revving, and they work well either with the standard 6-speed manual transmission or the available 6-speed Steptronic automatic. Coupes and Sedans are offered in both rear-wheel or all-wheel drive form.
A 3-Series clean-diesel engine is only available in sedan form. The 335d Sedan includes a 265-horsepower, 3.0L twin-turbo in-line 6-cylinder diesel that burns cleanly enough to be sold in all 50 states and produces an incredible 425 lb-ft of torque. The 335d is only paired with a 6-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive, and returns a very impressive 23 mpg city, 36 mpg highway.
The 2011 M3 comes with a 4.0L V8 engine capable of producing 414 horsepower and 295 lb-feet of torque. Two transmissions are available on the M3: a conventional 6-speed manual and a 7-speed dual-clutch automated manual model.
Across the lineup, 3-Series models have a similar front-end appearance but are quite different in layout. Xenon adaptive headlamps are standard on 3-Series Coupe models, and the Coupes and Convertibles get a unique taillight design with L-shaped lamps and LED illumination. Coupes and Convertibles follow a 4-person layout, while Sedans and Wagons have a 3-person back seat. In place of the center position in Coupe and Convertible models, there's a larger center console along with storage bins, air vents and footwell lights.
Steering and handling remain 3-Series strengths. All the models in the lineup have near-perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and the suspension--with a double-pivot/strut setup in front and multi-link arrangement in back--is made mostly of aluminum and tuned for a firm but absorbent ride. Servotronic power steering gives a good feel of the road, but the available Active Steering is a step up, automatically adjusting the ratio and assistance level to make the car easier to handle in parking lots as well as on the highway. The Dynamic Stability Control system helps maintain control either near the limits on sharp corners or on slippery surfaces, and it's tuned to allow a little more slip--and driving enjoyment--than most systems. The stability control system will even function like a rear differential and help channel power to the wheels with the most traction, for improved handling. Brake Standby and Brake Drying help maintain top braking performance in the wet, and a Start-off Assistant helps smooth starts on a steep incline. In addition to a full roster of airbags, the 3-Series comes with standard front active head restraints, to help prevent whiplash injuries.
The 2011 3-Series Convertible maintains its folding-hardtop arrangement, which compromises trunk space slightly but provides a weather-tight seal from the outside for year-round motoring. An Automatic Air Recirculation helps improve airflow at lower speeds, while the automatic climate control system includes three different modes, including a 'Convertible' mode designed for when the roof is open. For those planning to travel frequently at highway speeds with the top down, there's an available wind deflector, and the available leather in the Convertible includes sun-reflective treatment across all surfaces and can reduce interior temperatures by up to 36 degrees.
Wagon models offer an entirely different package aimed at maximizing cargo space and versatility. Wagons are now only offered in 328i and 328ix models.
The M3 is available in coupe, sedan and convertible forms. Long lauded as one of the best performance cars available, it continues this tradition for 2011 as well. Mountains of power, precise handling and clever electronics mean anyone can drive this inexpensive supercar well. A new-for-2011 Competition Package includes upgraded 19-inch wheels, lowered ride height and tuned electronic dampers and stability control to subtly improve what is already one of the best driver's cars out there.
As in the past, the iDrive controller can be pressed, twisted, or tilted to make menu selections, and it's now flanked by buttons that access common functions such as telephone or navigation quickly. Programmable memory keys will automatically bring up frequently used functions to access easily. Menu structures in the new iDrive system are new, with a better visual stacking of the menu structure on screen and symbols. Voice Command allows voice input
Within each variation of body style, engine, and drive system, the 3-Series models come in a single trim, with a pretty lengthy list of standard features. Rain-sensing wipers, heated mirrors and washer jets, keyless entry, an onboard computer, dynamic cruise control, automatic climate control, and a sound system with HD radio are included as standard. Available as part of a Cold Weather Package is a heated steering wheel and a number of other options and packages bring items like upgraded Dakota leather upholstery, a moonroof, a navigation system, a rear sunshade, smartphone integration, or an iPod adapter, as well as Harman Kardon surround sound.
An M Sport Package is also offered on the 3-Series, bringing some of the appearance cues of the high-performance M3 to the 328i or 335i. It includes performance tires on 18-inch wheels, plus sport seats, aerodynamic extras, upgraded trim, and a higher top speed.
On the M3, a Premium Package includes power-folding mirrors, BMW Assist and Bluetooth, while a Technology package includes keyless entry, a navigation system with voice command and electronic damping control.
For 2011, the BMW 3-Series gets a new fourth-generation iDrive controller that features a redesigned menu structure, and direct-select keys surrounding the controller. A larger, higher resolution 8.8-inch display screen comes with the system and has been repositioned on the dash for easier readability.
BMW has significantly upgraded the turbocharged engine in the 335i models; though its horsepower and torque ratings remain the same, a new twin-scroll, single-turbo arrangement replaces last year's twin-turbo configuration. Acceleration and responsiveness have been slightly improved.
All-new for 2011 is a performance-oriented 335is Coupe, which pairs the 300-horsepower turbocharged six with BMW's 7-speed DCT (Double Clutch) gearbox, an automated transmission that allows quick, rev-matched shifts without the sacrifice in performance or fuel economy of a standard automatic transmission.
Several new colors--Deep Sea Blu Metallic, Vermillion Red Metallic, and Mineral White Metallic--are newly offered on the Coupe. And throughout the 3-Series lineup, interior materials and trims have been upgraded.
The M3 gets new Competition Package that lowers suspension, adds 19" wheels as well as an EDC sport mode intended to further improve handling.